Thursday, July 19, 2012

Vignettes of beauty in Reshma's home!

Its been a while since I have done a home tour. Not for lack of finding pretty homes, but all the other design bloggers beat me to them! :-)


Well sirree, not this time! 


Have you ever seen images of a home and related INSTANTLY to them? Homes that have the same design sensibility, the same colors and the same textures that appeal to you? That's what happened when I came across pics of Reshma's home. I had just befriended her a few days ago on FB and when she posted these pics of her home last week, I was like "whaaaaaaat"? 


Here's a look at one of them....


Wicker seat, ceramic pot with succulents, textured cushion covers, wooden tray.....I loved it! So I asked her for more pics and permission to post on my blog and she obliged.


What I liked best about her home is the little vignettes of utter beauty she has created. Little "hot spots" of color and texture that are total eye candy. I've long been a believer of "vignettes"...those little visual treats that light up dark corners and unused spaces and give your eye a resting place while they are darting about the room. A place to stop, stare and drink in the beauty. I have also toyed for a long time on doing a post on that. So this was the perfect segue for me. 


This is what Reshma says about her home 


 "It all started in Jan 2011 when we bought a plot and started building a house on it. We knew nothing about house construction, had never even got a pillar erected before this since we had been living in rented places for 10 years so were quite apprehensive but very excited nonetheless. I got into every aspect of house building, construction, masonry,carpentry, tiling, the works and there would be times when things went totally wrong and we had to pull down certain parts and do it all over again. i would get really mad coz I really wanted the work to finish off soon and sometimes things just did not turn out well. Those were the weak moments or rather frustrating ones but once I was flipping through some magazine and I came across a quote that said 'some people look for a beautiful place to live in and some can make any place look beautiful' and these two lines changed my entire view." 


Anyway, enough prose here. Let's get to the pictures. Enjoy!



Reshma herself says - "I love converting all those dead corners into something cozy and every room in my home has a corner dedicated to chatais/durries and floor cushions, some potted plants and knick- knacks huddled up together and of course a lamp. You will also see a lot of wrought iron stuff in my house...love it"!






"My patio is made up of 5 wooden pillars. I love that area specially coz I get to hang lots of chimes and pots from the beams...just love all that hanging stuff and terracotta is my favourite outdoor stuff....reasonably priced and ethnic too."


Another thing we both share in common is we are both "Lucknowites"! Many of you may not know but I lived in Lucknow for 8 years as a child and have always loved that city. So when I heard that Reshma lived in Lucknow, I felt the connection get even stronger.

Reshma, thank for allowing us all a peek into your home! Its lovely, and when I come visit Lucknow (which is a top priority on my bucket list), I'll swing by and see it in person :-)

17 comments:

My Dream Canvas said...

I got to know Reshma through family friends and introduced her to the design blogger group. Not only does she have a beautiful home....she is a lovely person. I am delighted to see her home featured in your blog Kamini. You beat me to it :) I asked her as well but you had asked her first :)

Laksh said...

Great find, Kamini. Beautiful home..very tastefully decorated. Loved the plants in every corner.

Unknown said...

beautiful tour Kamini . Loved every corner . And amy I join the Lucknow club ? I went to college there :)

Karishma said...

You truly could not have found a more deserving home to share on your blog, I have had the privilege of knowing Reshma all my life and the warmth she exudes as a person, reflects in all these beautiful corners that have been carved in her home ! Some people have a knack of making even the simplest of things special,and her home happens to be just one of the elements she has enriched!Her home truly is an example of how brick and mortar can come alive with Taste, class and colour combined!Thanks for publishing this !

Unknown said...

Love your home, Reshma...especially the simplicity of it all, and the great fabrics, and of course that warm wooden bench on your terrace~...great post, Kamini!

sharon

devangana said...

Loved it. Thanks for sharing

Shilpa said...

Such a warm and cozy home, love the way she has beautifully arranged the cushions in appropriate places...lovely home reshma :)

pallu said...

Kamini.... beautiful post...
Reshma lovely combinations... lot of plants and cushions everywhere... any corner of your house is a great place with a book and coffee ;)

Unknown said...

I am drooling over her pottery collection. She is absolutely right about the pottery - cheap yet awesome.

Unknown said...

beautiful! Thank you for sharing, Kamini and Reshma!

Reshma said...

Kamini...thanks a ton for this feature on your blog...you have a knack of presenting things beautifully ...this too looks good :)
Anu...thanks for your unfailing encouragement always. Whatever exposure I have to the design blogger world, is all thanks to you :)
Kish....I'm trying to swallow that lump in my throat that your loving words brought...thank you :))
To everyone who liked my simple home, thank you so much....had I known these pics would land up on Kamini's blog, I would have done better with the camera and tried to hide that blue spot too on one of the cushions....that's my son's doing :))) Thank you everyone, once again !!!

GB said...

Reshma,

You have such a beautiful home. Love everything about it, the colors, the aesthetic, the little vignettes.
Love the light in the photographs and all the greenery that you've filled your home with.

Gorgeous!

PS: (K, you should definitely do a post on vignettes--better yet, do a series!)

Reshma said...

Gagan....thank you so much :)BTW I love your blog and follow your page on FB too !!

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

Beautiful house Reshma..so much warmth in these images,which you get to connect instantly..I am glad I know you through FB..and you invited me to your page.lakshmi
thanks kamini for the tour

Calvin said...

Lovely, indeed! Ms. Reshma has a great eye for detail. I suppose she took charge of decorating her house. She seems really talented. I admire how she huddled and organized her plants, her chimes and knick-knacks. Everything is in places and arranged flawlessly.

Calvin Mordarski

Sharon said...

Oh how lovely! Kamini, I asked Reshma for a home tour on thekeybunch and she told me that I was third in line! :)

I loved these vignettes, Reshma. Do save some pics for me as well! :)

Sharon

Shalini Pereira said...

Hi there, I came across your blog and really enjoyed going through all the great posts... Reshma you have a lovely home and thanks for sharing it with us... you have a new follower Kamini!