Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Messenger Rugs

Ok, so I've been babbling on and on about a rug post.....not just any old rug, but in case you noticed, this beautiful orange and white rug that was peeking out of my bedroom in my post a couple of weeks ago.
Yes, this one....
So here's how this ended up in my bedroom. A friend of mine in LA introduced me to one Kathleen Olsen, the maker, or rather the creator/designer/executor of this gorgeous piece of craftsmanship. Kathleen moved to rainy Seattle from sunny Santa Barbara a year ago and my LA friend thought we'd get along well. She was soooo right. I met up with Kathleen at a Starbucks a couple of weeks ago where we chatted and time just flew by. 
Kathleen founded Messenger Rugs, a company that makes rugs inspired by the traditions of yoga, meditation and prayer. The designs reveal how image and symbol serve as gateways to healing the mind and body. The designs evoke commentary on yoga and meditation as a practices affecting world sustainability.

Kathleen's personal interest in a variety of cultures as well as her deep interest in the study of Yoga, led her to A Masters in Mythology helped her enrich her knowledge of sacred symbols and the world's stories. She is well versed in Indian mythology and I bet could give me a run for my money in that area! 

Following Mother Teresa’s beloved adage, “We can do no great things, only small things with great love,” Kathleen began designing a line of rugs inspired by the practices of meditation and yoga. 


The result is the SERENITY SERIES of six symbolically rich rugs, beautifully crafted and hand-knotted in Nepal and designed by Kathleen. The rugs are intertwined with richly colored images of birds, dragons, phoenix’s and mandalas, offering inspiration from the World’s diverse mythologies. 

Here is a small sampling.....

The CHAKRA RUG depicts a body’s seven chakras; as the birds stand reminder of our spiritual freedom.
The LAW OF OPPOSITES rug depicts the duality of our physical world, the nature of opposites.
The LOTUS MANDALA is all about the beautiful lotus which grows up from the dark watery mire is a traditional symbol of purity and renunciation.
Check out the website to see the rest.......and tell me if Dragon and Phoenix isn't just spectacular!

Yoga, meditation, chakras, sustainability...all words that make my ears perk up....you see now why these rugs hold such incredible appeal to me?
At the end of a very interesting couple of hours with Kathleen, I of course, mentioned how I would love to do a feature on her rugs on my blog and lo and behold - she said she had a couple in the car I could use for my post! 

We went out to her car and sorry to use the phrase again, but LO AND BEHOLD....she had the Law of Opposites rug in orange!!! YES, orange! I mean of all the gazillion colors possible, how come she had an orange one, orange - the color that is all over my house, the color I love!! It was a sign....I was chosen to do a post on her! Laugh all you want, I'm convinced she and I have a deeper connection from some past times....

So armed with my prized possession I came home and laid it out, and yes, it was meant to be. Take a look....




So for the past few days it has been adorning my bedroom and I've been meditating and practicing my yoga on it. The rug is so incredibly soft to touch and the minute I turn my back on it, Lucy, my constant companion, sneaks by to sit on it. I have to keep shooing her away....
Messenger Rugs are made of 100% Tibetan sheep's wool in rug looms in Tibet providing opportunity to the weavers to embark on a new life. The rugs are small in size, but speak volumes by their sheer imagery and patterns! And trust me when I say, my Sirsasana and Kakasana have reached new heights on this magical rug! 

I am so excited to have this breathing, living piece of utter gorgeousness in my bedroom for a few days! Do check out Kathleen's website....just reading about it awakens my inner chakras and brings me peace! 

23 comments:

GB said...

Very very pretty (especially the mandala rug)! Hope you had a lovely diwali, K!

My Dream Canvas said...

Beautiful post Kamini. Love the rug and the way you have composed the shots.

Unknown said...

That's the main reason I love your home, Kamini....everything in it has a history and a meaning for why it is in your home!!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Hello kamini,
I have loved your blog for a while now and drawn inspiration from it silently. While you were on a hiatus, me and supriya (my friend) started Aalayam - check us out.
we are the newest kid on the block :)

http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com

and i love your lovely saffron rug!

~deepa

nisha said...

the rug story s superb and love the amazing shots of it...

canvas print said...

what a lovly home. love the rug story

Iniyaal said...

Gorgeous colour for a rug... It is the rich colours of the rug that made me read your post. Lovely rug designs and beautiful writing style.

Emreen said...

Hi kamini, how have you been? Hope all is well.... Wish you and your family a happy holi....!!!,

Rupa said...

It's been a very long time since you posted anything. I hope all is well and you will post again soon. Sending you good wishes.

Chondryma said...

Spectacular... specially the lotus mandala...

Find me at - http://chondryma.blogspot.com.au/

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

where are you Kamini? really really miss your posts.

rk said...

Hope all is well with you and your family. Looking forward to an update on your blog soon :)

rkramadh said...

Why no updates in so long? I don't use FB much, sort of a protest :) Hope you will come back to blogging soon....

Knot n Stitch said...

Lovely rug...looking forward to a new post soon.

Kamini said...

Beautiful! As a rug fanatic, I loved this post and the pictures. My favorite was the one with Lucy (I am a dog fanatic, too!)

Kamini said...

Beautiful! As a rug fanatic I really loved this post and the pictures. My favorite was the one with Lucy (I am a dog fanatic, too!)
Kamini.

A room with a view said...

It is a stunning piece and yes, was meant to be! Will check out the website.

Bubli said...

HI Kamini

Why arent you writing anymore. Missing your blogs so much.

Kamini said...

Bubli....I will I promise. I just need to get my act together....thanks for the comment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kamini,

Have you stopped writing/posting on your blog.
Your life has been a true inspiration for one and many.
Your new home in Seattle is a reflection of your personality.
I was reading the blog peacocks and paisley, in it she mentions
that before moving to townhouse in seattle you had a big 5 bedroom
house in the burbs.
How about posting pictures of that house. It will be a true treasure.

Not just your decorating style but the way you life your daily life,
is so full of loving energy that it makes us readers too to get
excited.

Vinita

JS said...

I've been devouring your blog since I found it a few days ago via Aalayam on Pinterest. I loved reading about your home, travels and travails with moving back to the U.S. with two dogs. Your post about the flight back to Seattle and not being able to relax at all really resonated with me because that's exactly how I felt when we moved to India with my beloved dog from Phoenix. I vowed never to go through the trauma again, and hence didn't adopt a dog in India after my dog passed away from old age. I spent six dogless years as a consequence, and recently gave my heart away to a tiny fluff ball who's snoozing at my feet as I write.

I'd love to know more about how you're coping as a vegan. I'm constantly flirting with veganism for ethical reasons, but it's so hard to make the jump when the rest of the family is not on board. How do you satisfy curd rice cravings? How do you stay away from paneer? Do you take your own food when you're invited to dinner? Then there's the Friday night pizza ritual with the kids ... sigh!

I'll be stopping by every day to read (no pressure!) For now, I have your archive list to go through.

Thanks for blogging!

Kamini said...

JS. Email me at kaminiandraga@gmail.com
I'll fill you in on dogs and veganism.

London Serviced Apartments Lady said...

I really love that orange rug, and the idea behind this collection really appeals to me! It would be nice to have that calm place to sit and contemplate.