Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ouro Preto ~ Baroque Architecture at its finest!

I really do not have time to blog....am up to my neck in shopping lists and endless packing for my upcoming trip in 4 days to the Americas. But I simply had to show you some gorgeous architecture!


Ouro Preto (Black Gold in Portugese ) is a city in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil, a former colonial mining town located in the Serra do Espinhaco mountains and designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO because of its outstanding Baroque Architecture. 
European baroque arrived here and adapted itself. This is evident in the ups and downs of roofs and the narrow confusion of side-to-side housing, the palaces, the bridges and the fountains. 

Isn't this photo amazing??? It took a lot of convincing and googling and tumbling (my latest addiction) for me to believe it really is the town.
And here are more images for you to swoon over.
Now excuse me while I get onto Expedia to find out how much it will cost me  to cancel my US tickets and get a one way ticket to Ouro Preto!!!!

4 comments:

Sound Horn Please said...

Oh no Missy! You HAVE to come here! But I've added this city to my places to visit :) Look at the colors- sigh...

Richa said...

so pretttyyyyy.. i need to go here and cook up a storm and serve in equally pretty and colorful serveware..!

Richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com/

citicasita said...

Oh my gosh! I love this place. The colors and the village living, love it!
Thanks for sharing....

Diddie @ citicasita.blogspot.com

school architects said...

People wanted to experiment with dramatic lighting during the Baroque era. For increased emphasis on the buildings' artistic nature, architecture of the Baroque era typically included arches of different sizes.