Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up VIII

Am linking up once again with Patty's Weekend Wrap Up!

It was a nice weekend, a little bit of everything thrown in. OK even though the weekend is officially Sat/Sun, we got into the weekend mood on Thursday itself, celebrating my Dad's 77th birthday. My parents, hubby and I went to the much touted Siaa for dinner. Absolutely delicious food, then came home and gorged on this decadent chocolate cake.
Friday was a day to recover from the gastronomic extravaganza of the previous day so all I did was chill out, watch TV and read. I took pics of my dogs while they were sleeping...or at least trying to sleep. Here is the red colored Lucy
and sleepy black Junglee
 I worked on another dry pastels drawing.....
........along the same fishy theme
Then I roasted up some broccoli , make that brussel sprouts - for Saturday lunch
Brought some flowers indoors
Took more pics
Made a salad for Sunday's lunch
Got all gussied up for a wedding reception in the evening
and then the "piece de resistance" of my weekend, I got this magnificent 200 plus year old stone statue of Hanuman from a good friend in Chennai! A little bit of background - this friend just donated a lot of money to rebuild an old temple on the outskirts of Chennai, and in the process of rebuilding they discarded this poor guy and bought a new statue! My husband was in Chennai last month for the "grand re-opening" and was shocked to find this out. So he promptly asked them to send it to us cos we would love to have something so old and precious! And they did! Isn't it lovely? I like that its features are all rubbed off and worn out. Imagine having a 200 year old stone figurine!!! So now he rests amongst our greenery!
Close up shot. He is about 20 inches high including the base. For now the whole thing is placed on a slab of granite rock we had, which I am thinking of painting a white Rangoli pattern on...? But then again, maybe not...it looks nice and simple as is. I don't want to draw the attention away from him. 
Hope you all had a fabulous weekend too! 

18 comments:

Sudha said...

was it broccoli or brussel sprouts? either way..yum!!

and how could i not mention the beautiful art work and yes the jewellery as well :)

Kamini said...

OMG you are so right Sudha! Yup, brussel sprouts!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

where should I start Kamini...love everything about this post...the flowers, the beautiful painting, the Birthday Cake and your gorgeous saree. you are lucky to have such an old piece of history...the food looks delicious on that colourful platter...what a vivid weekend you had. between convey my regards to your father...a very Happy 77th B'day to him and also please share the brussel sprouts recipe. it looks great.

Unknown said...

What a fab, but busy weekend! And your Hanumanji is so beautiful or should I say handsome! So natural,standing amongst all th greenery. Great find! Loved your saree...and the brussel sprouts salad. Pls share the recipe...
Have a fun week too..
And a happy 77th birthday to your dad...they becomes sweeter and more cherished as thy grow older...

Rekha said...

Fantabulous find kamini, Lucky you to get hold of that Hanuman..sounds like a lovely weekend!

GB said...

There's something poetic about dry pastels in a shoebox. :)

Other than that your lunch looks awesome--what's in that salad?--it looks wow....

The cherry on top is indeed the cherry on top---lucky you and your hubby did good-real good. Don't paint anything---the statue has so much character on its own. I love it, & I love where it is currently "sthapith"!!

Your sari is wow and I love your jewelry--its been ages since I put on a sari to go somewhere (almost a year now!) Boo. :( -i need to get me some indian friends.

Loved your weekend--so productive--we just vegged out (which was gooood!) :)

PreeOccupied said...

God has His cunning ways of finding the nice people. I live the way Hanumanji is kept in the greens. I wouldnt do any rangoli on that granite, K. Maybe on festivals and occasions, like they do with rice flour down South, and then wash it off.

PreeOccupied said...

Oh Happy 77th to your Dad. :-)

Anonymous said...

aaaawww.. Happy Birthday to your dad... He must have had a fabulous time..

Also.. gastronomic extravaganza - ha ha ha.. thats the funniest terms I've ever heard..

And if ever you are donating that 200 year old Hanumanji... Please note that I will come running... and do whatever I have to.. to get it.. from you.. So please.. please.. dont forget me.. when you want to give that away.. Option 2- please put my name in your will.. clearly stating.. that the Hanumanji goes to Patty.. Please!!

Vinita said...

I always look forward to your weekend wrap up posts on monday morning. The way you take pictures and write about the things you did has such a good flow that it inspires me to go out and do something too.

Yesterday I went to the Blick store,after spending a few hours in IKEA. And even though i have visited the store before,and I am not an artist, yet I could look at it from a different view point after reading blogs of artistes like you and Genine. There were so many products to inspire the artist within and just start doing something. I have always been afraid of colors and normally stick to the beige and browns and blacks.. neutrals, but this store was magical with tons of japanese papers, pens, inks and so on.

Iniyaal said...

Lucky you... a 200 year old statue has found its way to rest in your garden. It looks fabulous among your greenery. Your pastel art is lovely :) Cheerful and interesting.

Sharon said...

I always love to read about your weekends! So interesting:)!!...and my dad celebrated his 70th bday recently...gosh ur parents are young!

20 YORK STREET said...

I still have to find a way to like brussel sprouts!

I just found your blog today, it's beautiful!

xox

Neha@ All things beautiful said...

Amazing post Kamini...loved the pastel painting, the pictures of the flowers and the food and more than anything the hanumanji statue. Great find.

I have to add, I am a big fan of your artwork.

Geeta said...

Happy birthday to your dad. Loved the dogs, cakes, your pastels, lunch and the Hanuman statue. Not necessarily in any order. Your weekend post makes me want to retire and paint all day.

Anu Gummaraju said...

How lucky is that?! Finding a statue that old? It looks lovely in your space :)... Gorgeous weekend wrap up, as always!

Sruthi said...

A 200year old statue,what a treasure...wow!!

Unknown said...

I love your blog. Each pic was gorgeous but the Hanuman Statue...what a find !!! Superb!