Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mom cave?

Do you have a Mom Cave? Yes, that's the latest buzz word in home design and consumerism. Men have always had their Man Caves, a place for them to to celebrate all things masculine including sports, cars, and yes....bodily functions. But now its time for them to move over and give us moms our refuge too. 
There are endless debates by sociologists as to why its "Mom" cave and not "Woman" cave and the answer is something to do with "societal fears and ignorance" ....but all that aside, a Mom Cave is essentially a place for Moms to sit; a space to organize their stuff; an area for them to do the things they love and a room for a mom to visit with all her girlfriends! 
Homegoods was the company that coined the phrase, read here to know more about it.
Kelly Porter of Porter House Designs ( which by the way is a great design blog) also made the whole Mom Cave thing a rage after The Washington Post featured her in a story entitled "Carving Out a Mom Space of her Own".  The story showcased her home office -- a space she coined her Mom Cave.  
The story received national attention and spawned a Mom Cave design trend that is still catching on. See the video below....


What I have at home is more of a Mom Corner than a Mom Cave, but it works for me.  I sit here, I organize and am surrounded by things I love.....and as for all that stuff about a place for girlfriends to visit, we just meet in the living room!!!!!
And here is a really funny post by a guy whose Man Cave is now gone and replaced with a scrapbook table and crafting items!

So what do you think? A lot of hooplah about nothing??? I am not so into all this talk about mommies getting their "me time" and so on. After all if you choose to be a mommy and bear children, you have made a decision to sacrifice some of that "me time" till the kids fly the coop right? I'm getting all the me time now that I never had or wanted when my kid was growing up. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. 

6 comments:

Neha@ All things beautiful said...

Kamini, I like your Mom corner.
REmember my post on Mom Cave :
http://allthingzbeautiful.blogspot.com/2011/04/mom-cave.html

Sound Horn Please said...

Hahahahha! I hadn't heard of mom cave before. Maybe I just need a 'wife cave'!

Sudha said...

sounds like a very interesting plan...:)

Datssocute said...

Thanks so much for the shout out for my hubby's post! That's awesome! Have a great one! ♥ BJ

A room with a view said...

Mum caves are a must in today's crazy world but I do not have one per se except the study which is where I spend a lot of time working, writing, doing the bills, etc..it's all mine. Great post!

nanditark said...

you're always inspiring...

http://nanditark-lifeiscrafty.blogspot.com/