Monday, May 2, 2011

Mundane objects.....things of beauty

Today was an exercise in Wabi Sabi for me. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, read my old post here. But in short it is simply this - finding beauty in everyday objects! It is quiet, undeclared beauty that waits patiently to be discovered.

My exercise today was a slight deviation from this, but the basic premise was the same....what I did was to go around my house and photograph ordinary objects which, by the mere act of displaying with care, had turned  into things of beauty. Each one of us has some prized collection which we display with pride - artwork, dishes, little figurines, heirlooms, pottery and so on. Things that are MEANT to be shown off. But, hidden in drawers and stashed away in cupboards are things we feel are too boring and mundane to be considered display worthy. Useful, functional items that have no place in public, that are best kept in the dark.

So I am here to tell you, pull them out. Next time you're looking for some cool arty thing to place on that dresser, or fill a niche in your bedroom with, or to prettify your desk....just go scrounging in your closet or cupboard or drawer. And trust me, you'll find something. All sorts of cool collections lurking inside waiting to be discovered...Wabi Sabi!

Am I rambling or making any sense? Here...take a look at these....simple things that look good when clustered together and displayed artfully.
Spools of thread, in bottles....

Rolls of wrapping paper....just stick them all in a big mud pot...like a bouquet

 Bangles...oh, how I love these, not so much to wear, but more to look at....
 and more...
 Art and colored pencils...and no, you don't need a sugar mold like the one I have (which I won in a giveaway)...even old, chipped coffee mugs or glasses all lined up will look good
 Mortars and pestles....
 Cooking oils.......
 Old brass urns....which no one uses these days
 Spices
 Paint brushes
 Greenery on the windowsill
 Old black and white and sepia toned photographs.....chipped frames and all
 And no, I wouldn't bother changing the chipped frames and giving them new ones. I think its part of the charm....
So, here is what I say. Go around your house, try looking at things differently, see the simple beauty in everyday objects.....spice jars filled with delicious powders all lined up, vessels all gleaming and polished, bottles of oils, stacks of papers, CD's and DVD's arranged neatly, pots of flowers.....really anything at all!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVED your post! every bit..every pic...so true...instead of buying new stuff and making one's home more cluttered...work with what you have...finding magic in what you already possess...such a beautiful thought...must try clicking the regular stuff, soon :)

My Inspired Reality said...

"Finding beauty in everyday objects" - you have inspired me Kamini...as she runs off to find everyday things to photograph:):)

GB said...

Love this post, K! The photographs and the frames, the greens, the paintbrushes, the kitchen counters and windowsills, the threads in the jars......each and every bit.

Anonymous said...

Do I have to still tell you how much you inspire me?? Do I?? I totally loved loved this post.. *sigh*... I love the little containers that you keep your brushes in... fabulous... Your works space looks amazing.. Everything looks so so super organised.. neat.. clean.. clutter free... That threads jar.. is such an amazing idea!! Can you come to my home.. and give me some ideas too.. please.. please!!

Shanthi said...

Cool post Kamini!!! from Mortars to paint brushes to brass vessels to black and white memories all look so cool. Who is that beauty in that chipped frame.

Sound Horn Please said...

So true K! I've been wondering off late about why I'm filling up my tiny apartment with store bought 'objet d'art' love those paint brush holders...

Kamini said...

Shanthi...that "beauty" in the chipped frame is my mom-in-law who acted in a movie when she was young. That's a separate post coming up.

Roshni said...

love this! Of course, you cannot change the frame. It is completely part of the charm! Can you tell me how you take care of your paintbrushes. An art teacher once told me that they should remain dipped in turpentine (after oil painting) to retain their softness, but I see that yours aren't.