Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Coffee lovers of Hyderabad unite!

Here is the first in what will hopefully become a regular feature - a food find! Hyderabadis are food lovers and every day I hear about a new restaurant opening up somewhere in the vicinity! To be honest, I am not much of a foodie myself...give me my roti/dal or a peanut butter jelly sandwich and I'm a happy camper. I would rather sit in my pajamas in front of the TV eating one of my fav dishes - Maggi noodles - than dress up and go out for dinner! So be warned - with such an apathetic attitude to food, this may very well end up being the first and last in the series!!!!
But today we decided to check out the new coffee bar/art gallery called "Beyond Coffee"that opened up last week behind our house. In fact, we share the same wall (the wall you see in pic #2 overlooks our backyard), and we have seen the restaurant come up in the last 8-9 months! Our dogs have barked their silly little heads off at the construction people for all 8 months so in all fairness we felt we should at least go check it out! It was also my mom's 70th bithday...so another reason to go.

It was wonderful! The restaurant's architecture itself is very modern - think Robert Venturi and Frank Lloyd Wright! White, clean, simplistic, linear and almost minimalist, it lets the understated interiors and the artwork showcased within do all the talking. The restaurant is the dream child of Vivek Rao, an artist and art conoisseur who believes in combining the age-old connection between food and art - much like what Howard Schulz envisioned with Starbucks.  Beyond Coffee is also an art gallery displaying for sale some stunning and eclectic pieces of art from all over India and the world. They provide an unusual but effective platform for both established and upcoming artists to display their work and talent with minimum fuss and maximum exposure. This month they are presenting the works of one of the most respected artists hailing from Andhra Pradesh- Magunta Dayakar. You can read more about the artist here.

Here are some pictures so you can see for yourself the open spacious interiors that lets you browse the paintings in unobstructed pleasure. The seating is stylish and comfortable, not an easy combination to achieve. All items on the menu are named after famous artists, so while my husband and I munched on Jackson Pollock burgers, my dad ate a Manet sandwich and my mom a Titian pizza! Quirky, but it works! And it is delicious. The burgers and sandwiches were perfectly toasted (the breads are made in-house), the veggies fresh and wholesome, the french fries crisp and light! Its the perfect place to relax with friends over a cup of coffee and some food, or to spend a rainy afternoon - reminiscent again of a Starbucks - sipping one of their exotic teas and surfing the net!  Maybe if I can convince the owner, I'll make an opening in the wall and put in a gate....so I have my own personal access from my backyard to his gallery! So for all you Hyderabadis looking for a great place to hang out, appreciate good art and good food - you've found it!

9 comments:

GB said...

Oh man, when I get to Delhi, I'm going to get my fill of dhaba chai...that's what we subsisted on all those years as students...

:)

Kamini said...

GB have you tried Hyderabadi Irani chai? Thats a whole blog post in itself. If you ever get down to Hyd, I'll take you to the inner gulleys of Charminar for the BEST Irani chai!

Designwali said...

ooh i love that artwork in that coffee house...food looks yummy too! Thanks for popping over to my blog, yours is a terrific inspiration.

RK said...

You have a beautiful blog! This coffee (or beyond) place looks inviting and unpretentious. It has that gallery feel except you feel invited to sit down/spend time! My only little problem is India is opening up so many of these burger/pizza/coffe places that people flock to and indulge on not so healthy western foods. I fear that our youth will forget their own heritage somewhere along the line...pardon me for my candid opinion. I kinda grew up and live in NA but I don't want to see Indian heritage/food/culture being bull dozed by western stuff...may be I am feeling nostalgic today :)

Kamini said...

RK - what you say is sort of true. Places offering Indian fare are losing out to the Western influenced palette....! But I think eating healthy is a pesonal choice you can make at any restaurant. You can have your dal, roti and salad at an Indian joint, and soup and salad at a Western place, or your tikka paneer and malai kofta and cheese laden pizza!! I for one am a total health freak, so the burger I ate was a complete detour for me. But I won't deprive myself completely! 22 years in the US have accustomed me to Western food which I miss here, so places like this offer me that choice when the craving hits! The world is getting smaller and along with everything else, people's food choices are widening and changing and eager for new tastes and I don't see any way of stopping or slowing down the Western bulldozer!!But I do see your point...! Thanks for stopping by :-)

GB said...

Kamini, I have had hyderabadi Irani chai - in Jabalpur, MP of all places!! I have lived all over India (army brat) so have had my fair share of experiences--spent a couple of years in Secundrabad as a kid too. But I'll keep your offer in mind...

:D

and if I may add

@RK- that's globalization....I think we as Indains are putting our stamp on wherever we choose to live as well. so it's a two-way street.
Let's not fight evolution...embrace it in all its diversity. I don't think any culture as great as ours will be hurt by a little more acceptance.....*Bhaashan over*

:)

Denise said...

Nice Blog, I enjoyed reading! I take it you are a coffee lover yourself? I happen to have a website that could help you find a nice new coffee carafes.
They make pretty good gifts, especially for men. I always find it diffucult to shop for guys, cause what am I supposed to give them...tools?
Anyway, I think you would find my website very helpful. Please visit if you have time. The URL is http://coffeemakersthermalcarafe.com. Thank you!

The Ketchup Girl said...

you make me miss Hyderabad :(. Its a dream to own a book-coffee-cum-lil silver boutique someday in Hyderabad. Some day, when I come back.

Ishrath said...

Hi... I checked out Beyond Coffee last week for there was an paintings exhibition going on. Seems like a decent place.

The paintings in your photos look very good. Too bad I missed that exhibition... only because I did not know of this place. You are lucky to live close so that you get a regular art-dose.