Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Black is back

Black might be the last color that springs to mind as a decorating choice for a room. I know for me it is, or maybe I should say, it was.....! Somehow the idea of a black room brings to mind college music clubs, basements, angst-ridden teenagers with paint cans and upper crust millionaire bachelors in their Manhattan penthouses! But black, I am hearing, is the new neutral, and if you're in the market to decorate, black is well worth your time and consideration. I think the trick is to provide enough contrast in white and lighter colors which makes the black really pop out, but not in a "in your face" kind of way!

A black bedroom is unmistakably bold. Consider painting two walls black and the two facing walls white, gray or another accent color for a two-tone look. If you find black walls overwhelming, black ceiling tiles can give the bedroom black overtones away from eye level.

A black bedroom, just like any other color scheme, doesn't mean the room has to be dominated or completely entrenched in that color. There's no need to create a a dungeon. Your decor doesn't have to be all black or even mostly black. You can brighten the look considerably with the clean contrast of white---black wall paint and white bedding and furnishings, vice versa, or throw in splashes of gray, red or another accent color. The clean lines of black and white are classic and won't fail to make an impression. Choose the colors carefully; more than one tone of black paint is typically available, so select some color cards and take them home to try out in the room.

Take a look at these black inspired rooms......for a person who has ALWAYS chosen earthy warm colors, I find them strangely appealing and incredibly striking! I hope you get inspired too.....

Images via Martha Stewart Living

7 comments:

GB said...

I like the first bedroom. That rani-pink pop of color against that grey-black wall= WOW. (hubby dearest wouldn't stand for it tho'). :)

Kamini said...

Um I hear you Gagan!Yes, isn't that striking, that pink against the black. My fav pic too which is why I put it upfront!

My Dream Canvas said...

Love the black mirror. Black is not really my color for a room but its definately striking!! Wish I was bold enough to try it though :-)

Anonymous said...

Simply gorgeous.. I didnt think that black could look so beautiful... I love the first room.. with the dash of red / pink.. wow!

turmericnspice said...

love black...it was always there for us...never gone!!

indian yarn said...

people saw fuschia pouf in my house and was flabbergasted - this was like 5 years ago when fuschia was not an inthing.

and the chandelier in the bathroom - i covet.

i once painted the darkest brown in my room on one wall and it looked splendid ( oh shameful for me to brag) and now i repainted it white and wrote on it.

you have amazing tastes kamini

Kamini said...

Thanks Anrosh, so nice of you :-)The most fuschia I have in my home is 3 cushion covers in a deep startling pink....I love the pop of colour they provide. But now I find myself liking deep pink more and more...i think its more a sign of old age than getting hip!