Friday, July 30, 2010

Wedding shopping sneak peek...

OK so many of you reading my blog know I have been blabbing about a wedding..yes, my son in DC is getting married to his partner Andy on the 5th of Sept. Even though it is not a traditional wedding...it is still a WEDDING...and I have to do my share of shopping :-) I cannot obviously let too many details cos then it wouldn't be fun for those attending AND reading this (even tho that may be a very small number)..but I have been buying bangles up the wazoo. Bangles are great - they are colorful, the metal ones are beautiful, unbreakable and travel worthy, all girls big and small love bangles, they come in a gazillion varieties and sizes and colors, they make for great gifts ....so naturally I have gone a bit bangle berserk and living in a city like Hyderabad where even your local paan wallah (street vendor) or mochi (cobbler) sells bangles, its easy to go berserk! I also have been buying gifts...for relatives, cousins, nieces, nephews etc! So all you inquiring minds that want to know - and I want to share - here are some pics of my purchases. For the same reason mentioned above.... can only show a few, but you will get the general idea!
Bangles for the big girls.....this is about a tenth of what I bought!



Bling bling for the little girls.....

Saris for moi! Just simple silk ones with little mirrors on them. I am not at all into grand heavy saris so this is about as dressy as I will get! The shopkeeper was aghast that I would wear something so simple for MY SON"S WEDDING! Kept shaking his head sadly and my mother shook her head along with him in commiseration!


Of course Jaipuri jutis to go along with them!
Fab India shirts for the young nephews!
A lovely turquoise blue/orange half sari for my 17 yr old niece!

Silver and stonework jewellry for the young nieces and female relatives...




Toe rings...
And there you have it....a sneak peek of all the shopping I have been doing! I get more fun shopping for others than for myself, and when you find that perfect gift for a person, its really very rewarding! My mother has been my partner in crime...!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The saris are so pretty and love the blouses with the dangly strings! Enjoy!!

GB said...

That settles it...I'm getting on a plane bound to India right now!!!

LOVE the cholis!!--with a choli like that your don't need a heavy sari...oooh you're going to look gorgeous! You have to post pics of the event!!! Sigh........ :)

The bangles and that turquoise chocker.........swooooooooooon!
okay I need to stop gushing- I swear I've started to sound like a teenager!!!

GB said...

choker

Shalini said...

Congrats! It must be such an exciting time...you've done a lot of shopping already...love all the silver jewelry.

Lol on the shopkeeper's reaction!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Congrats !!
Loved the bangles and the cholis..so Indian :)
Nice shopping !!:)

toniclime said...

I loved them all!! Feel like go to shopping now :)

Unknown said...

I want to come to India and start shopping too!...Loved the sarees and the Cholis! Bet you have some great jewelry to go with the saree. Loved the Choker, bracelets and Jhutis...
Kamini - you must thought of every individual and purchased the gift acc to their likes/dislikes/personality...so sweet of you. lucky family/lucky guests...

My Dream Canvas said...

Wow..you have exquisite taste and you'll look fabulous!! Loved all the stuff :-)

Unknown said...

Love the simple saree heavy blouse combo! i love all the silver jewellery too!

Cheers and have fun!

Anonymous said...

that is such excitement... such an awesome time.. We are living the wedding thru your posts.. Cant wait to do more blog shopping.. with you!! Have an awesome time.. :-)

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

A wedding! Congratulations! :)

I abolsutely love those sarees and cholis. Please do post pics of yourself wearing them! Hope you have loads of fun at the wedding :)

PreeOccupied said...

Oh! You have a son who is about to get married. Why on earth did I think you were a 20-something!

Anyway, big congratulations to you and your family on this happy occasion. The shopping is exotic.

Leigha said...

So beautiful. The colors are delicious. Just popped over from Of Peacocks & Paisley.
Leigha

Roshni said...

Hi! New reader of your blog...I'm just going through the archives. It is such a pleasure not only to peruse through your creative output, but also to find some one who is India, traditional and yet, open-minded!

Susmitha said...

Kamini..the sarees are very beautiful..esp. the blouses. Can you tell where you purchased those?

Pushpa said...

You have a good taste and it clearly shows in all your posts. Could you also please share where you shopped for all this stuff. I have a trip planned to India soon and your tips would be really very helpful. Thanks,Pushpa

Kamini said...

Pushpa...wow, it was so long back I may have forgotten. I don't know where you live though, which city? Ok so the bangles I bought at a bangle store in Inorbit Mall, up on the the 4th floor. I think they also have a shop at City Center. The other little girl jewelry at Fab India. The saris at Rupahali saris here in Jubilee Hills, they also have a website. Jutis were from Jaipur on a previous trip. The half sari from Kalanjali. The silver jewelry from Cauvery pearls and silver in Panjagutta. Hope that helps....

Anonymous said...

I have to say I loved every single item you showed us!! What beautiful bangles, saris, jutis, and jewelry!! And what gorgeous colors!! You did very well on your "shopping spree"!! I wish I could have been with you to shop along-side of you....I HAVE to get to India one day so I can see it all for myself!
Congratulations to your son, and yes, please post many pictures of the wedding for us to see....
Francy

Pushpa said...

Thank you very much for replying! That is a great help. I am from Hyderabad too. :)